AUSTIN, Texas (AP) - The University of Texas System board of regents has voted to approve Steve Patterson's hiring as athletic director overseeing one of the nation's wealthiest athletic departments.
Regents met by phone Monday to OK the hiring of Patterson, who will leave his post as AD at Arizona State University for the move to Austin. His salary will swell to $1.4 million from the $450,000 he earned in Arizona.
He will replace DeLoss Dodds, who over the course of 32 years built UT athletic programs into some of the most powerful in the country.
The Austin American-Statesman reports the procedural vote by regents authorizes university President Bill Powers to negotiate an employment agreement with Patterson, subject to ratification by the board. Officials previously said the 55-year-old Patterson will receive a five-year contract.
- 'America' band member David Dickey passes away in Sweetwater
- Schools to rally behind Iraan cheerleaders and football players
- Sweetwater Christmas parade kicking off Monday night
- 1 killed in crash on I-20 involving bus carrying high school cheerleaders
- Goodfellows spread holiday cheer in Sweetwater with toy drive