JACKSONVILLE, Texas (AP) - Investigators say a 60-year-old novice pilot has died after her small plane crashed into a hangar at an East Texas airport.
The Department of Public Safety said Debra Birch was alone in the plane during the crash around 5 p.m. Sunday at Cherokee County Airport near Jacksonville. Birch was transported to a Jacksonville hospital where she died Sunday night.
Trooper Tyson Metzig said the Jacksonville woman was doing practice takeoffs and landings in a single-engine plane. Richard Birch says his wife was on her third solo flight. Parts of the plane ended up stuck atop the hangar.
Jacksonville is 110 miles southeast of Dallas.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated