KILLEEN, Texas - (AP) - A police officer is dead and another is wounded after a shootout at a Central Texas apartment complex with a man armed with a military-style assault weapon.
The suspect also was killed in the shootout at the Grandon Manor Apartments, near Killeen Mall.
Killeen tactical officers went to the complex about midnight Saturday after a man was reported threatening people in the pool with a gun. A police statement says officers found the man in an apartment and tried to talk him out when he fired one shot.
Police say the man then came to the door with hands up but wouldn't come out. He backed deeper the apartment, grabbed the rifle and began shooting at officers, wounding two, one fatally. Other officers killed the suspect.
Identities haven't been released.
- Man shot in arm during road rage incident near Abilene
- Man convicted of indecency with a child now arrested in Taylor County
- Abilene police find heroin in house, arrest 4 on drug charges
- Financial shortfall forcing Meals on Wheels to cut breakfast delivery in Abilene
- Abilene parents keeping daughter's memory alive with foundation
- Brownwood woman gets 20 years in prison for injuring child
- Brownwood police asking for public's help in finding escaped man
- Brownwood murder suspect's lawyer asks for bond reduction, gag order
- Brownwood City Council unanimously passes new budget
- Brown County cities see decline in sales tax revenues for July
- Sweetwater teacher accused of relationship with student resigns
- Bond reduced for Ranger man accused of murder
- Bangs students learn from Monday's presidential debate
- Winters man one of 25 to receive prestigious Carnegie Hero medal
- Brother of fallen Dyess airman killed week before 1st anniversary of plane crash