KILLEEN, Texas - (AP) - A police officer is dead and another is wounded after a shootout at a Central Texas apartment complex with a man armed with a military-style assault weapon.
The suspect also was killed in the shootout at the Grandon Manor Apartments, near Killeen Mall.
Killeen tactical officers went to the complex about midnight Saturday after a man was reported threatening people in the pool with a gun. A police statement says officers found the man in an apartment and tried to talk him out when he fired one shot.
Police say the man then came to the door with hands up but wouldn't come out. He backed deeper the apartment, grabbed the rifle and began shooting at officers, wounding two, one fatally. Other officers killed the suspect.
Identities haven't been released.
- Updated Italy earthquake: A country in mourning begins burying the dead
- Homeowner: '20 or 30 years of my life gone' in Abilene house fire
- 49ers QB sits during national anthem in protest
- Clyde community raises money for family after car accident
- HPU baseball team collects donations for LA flood victims