AMARILLO, Texas (AP) - Police searched a lake west of Amarillo as they investigate the slaying of a Lubbock doctor in an alleged killing-for-hire.
They say an Amarillo plastic surgeon paid another man in silver bars to kill Dr. James Sonnier III in July.
David Neal Shepard, who prosecutors say killed Sonnier, was at Lawrence Lake with authorities. He led them to spot where he made a throwing motion. Police later searched that area.
Prosecutors have said Dr. Thomas Michael Dixon hired Shepard and paid him three silver bars worth about $3,000 each.
Sonnier's girlfriend told police Dixon, her 48-year-old ex-boyfriend, insisted on seeing her even though she was dating Sonnier.
Shepard and Dixon are charged with capital murder, and a judge has ordered plea bargain negotiations for each.
- ACU's Sing Song competition brings visitors, dollars to Abilene
- 2 dead in shooting during fight at Houston strip club
- Police seek help finding suitcase linked to Colorado murder
- Hunters charged in Texas shooting who had blamed immigrants
- KTXS Forecast: Rain moves out, making way for warmer weather and sunny skies