SAN ANGELO, Texas - Pope Francis has named Rev. Michael Sis, presently vicar general of the Diocese of Austin, to be Bishop of the San Angelo diocese, which includes 29 counties including Taylor.
Sis will be installed as the new bishop for the Diocese of San Angelo at 2 p.m. Monday, Jan. 27, in San Angelo.
Pope Francis, before naming Sis, accepted the resignation of Most Rev. Michael D. Pfeifer as bishop of San Angelo. Pfeifer was scheduled at 10 a.m. Thursday to present Sis as the new bishop.
Counties in the San Angelo diocese include Andrews, Brown, Callahan, Coke, Coleman, Concho, Crane, Crockett, Ector, Glasscock, Howard, Irion, Kimble, Martin, McCulloch, Menard, Midland, Mitchell, Nolan, Pecos, Reagan, Runnels, Schleicher, Sterling, Sutton, Taylor, Terrell, Tom Green and Upton.
Major cities located in the diocese are Abilene, Big Spring, Brownwood, Fort Stockton, Midland, Odessa, San Angelo, and Sweetwater, according to the diocese website.
Here's the Diocese of San Angelo's news release on the matter in its entirety:
SAN ANGELO — Pope Francis has named Rev. Michael Sis, currently vicar general of the Diocese of Austin, to succeed Most Rev. Michael D. Pfeifer as Bishop of San Angelo.
At 10 a.m., Thursday, December 12, 2013, at the Diocesan Pastoral Center, 802 Ford St., in San Angelo, Bishop Pfeifer will present Msgr. Sis as the new bishop.
His ordination and installation as new bishop for the Diocese of San Angelo is scheduled to take place at 2 p.m., Monday, January 27, in San Angelo.
Bishop-elect Sis was born January 9, 1960, in Mt. Holly, New Jersey. He was ordained for the Austin diocese on July 19, 1986.
He holds a bachelor of arts degree in philosophy from the University of Notre Dame, a bachelor's degree in theology from the Gregorian University, and a licentiate in moral theology from the Academia Alfonsiana, Pontifical Lateran University, Rome.
Assignments after ordination included 1986-1988, associate pastor, Christo Rey Church, Austin; 1989, associate pastor in campus ministry, St. Mary's Student Center, College Station, Texas; 1990-1992, associate pastor, St. Mary's Cathedral, Austin; 1992, associate pastor, St. Mary's Student Center; 1993-2006, pastor, St. Mary's Student Center; 2006-2009, vocation director, Austin Diocese; 2009-2010, pastor, St. Thomas More Church, Austin; and 2010-present, vicar general and moderator of the curia, Austin diocese.
The San Angelo diocese includes 37,433 square miles across 29 counties in Texas. It has a population of 859,701 people, with 77,230, or nine percent of them, Catholic.
Bishop Pfeifer has served as bishop of the Diocese of San Angelo for 27 years and submitted his resignation on his 75th birthday in May 2012.
- Updated Victims ID'd: San Angelo man & boy, 4, apparently drowned while fishing
- Updated Recent thefts raise eyebrows at Abilene hardware store
- Texan on 10 Most Wanted sex offender list caught in Mexico
- KTXS Forecast: Tracking scattered cloud cover with low to mid-80s for the work week
- Abilene locations to offer early voting Monday
- Candlelight vigil held in Brownwood for domestic violence victims
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated