ARLINGTON, Texas (AP) - Texas Rangers designated hitter Lance Berkman is donating a fire truck to the Central Texas town of West, which was devastated by an April fertilizer plant explosion that killed 15 people and injured more than 200.
The white and red truck, procured by the Arlington Fire Department, has Berkman's name and jersey number on the door.
It will be presented to town officials Saturday when the Rangers host 5,000 West residents and first responders during its game against the Astros.
First baseman Mitch Moreland will present a check for $27,000 from Rangers players for purchase of sports equipment.
Major League Baseball and the Major League Baseball Players Association will donate $100,000 for relief efforts, and the Texas Rangers Baseball Foundation will give $40,000.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated