ARLINGTON, Texas (AP) - Texas Rangers designated hitter Lance Berkman is donating a fire truck to the Central Texas town of West, which was devastated by an April fertilizer plant explosion that killed 15 people and injured more than 200.
The white and red truck, procured by the Arlington Fire Department, has Berkman's name and jersey number on the door.
It will be presented to town officials Saturday when the Rangers host 5,000 West residents and first responders during its game against the Astros.
First baseman Mitch Moreland will present a check for $27,000 from Rangers players for purchase of sports equipment.
Major League Baseball and the Major League Baseball Players Association will donate $100,000 for relief efforts, and the Texas Rangers Baseball Foundation will give $40,000.
- ACU's Sing Song competition brings visitors, dollars to Abilene
- 2 dead in shooting during fight at Houston strip club
- Police seek help finding suitcase linked to Colorado murder
- Hunters charged in Texas shooting who had blamed immigrants
- Stepson talks how shooter, victim met before San Angelo murder-suicide