AUSTIN, Texas (AP) - A proposed referendum to allow casino gambling in Texas just got a boost with interest groups uniting behind the measure.
Dallas Republican Sen. John Carona on Monday said that big casinos, race tracks and Native American groups had agreed to support his constitutional amendment. If approved by voters, it would allow 21 casinos distributed across the state and create a gaming commission.
In the past, casino operators, horse and dog racers and the state's federally-recognized tribes couldn't agree on expanding Texas gambling. Carona said those groups have all agreed in principle on his measure.
Religious groups and some liberals oppose gambling as harmful to the community. But supporters say Texans are spending more than $3 billion in neighboring states and they want that money to create jobs in Texas.
- Updated Shot Brownwood man considered brain dead, suspect could face upgraded charges
- Police: Ohio mom killed 2 kids to save them from evil in world
- Sweetwater teen wins gold medal in national powerlifting competition
- Texas woman slain as boyfriend shoots at another man
- Official: Storm triggered sensor that halted new Six Flags roller coaster
- Abilene families release butterflies to remember their loved ones
- Young horse riders show off skills in Abilene
- Dog show held at Mall of Abilene
- Eighteen seniors graduate from Abilene Christian School
- Weather doesn't keep Williams from canvassing for votes
- Abilene's new aquatic center to open mid-June
- Brownwood police release ID of man shot in head, upgrade charges against suspect
- 3 firefighters, 1 other injured in Brownwood house fire
- Man in critical condition after shooting in Brownwood, suspect arrested
- TEA says Mullin ISD violated education codes, defrauded state
- Brown County man sentenced to 35 years in prison for child sex crime
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent says school will be open next year
- Dyess We Care Team repairs the home of a WWII veteran
- Sweetwater residents welcome rain after severe storm
- NWS confirms multiple tornadoes touched down in northern Brown County
- DPS identifies driver of 18-wheeler that crashed off overpass in Callahan County
- Rain totals: 'Quite measurable' amounts recorded in Big Country
- Sweetwater police chase ends with car on top of 2 pickup trucks