NAVASOTA, Texas - A retired sheriff's deputy has drowned after falling off a boat during a fishing trip on an East Texas lake.
The Houston Chronicle reports Sunday that 65-year-old Donald Ray McBroom of Tomball died early Saturday while fishing on Yarboro Lake not far from the East Texas town of Navasota.
The Grime County Sheriff's Office says the retired Harris County deputy was returning to the pier at the lake's fishing club to pick up additional equipment and tried to step out of the boat before it was secured. McBroom missed the landing and fell into the water.
It remains unclear how long McBroom was in the water, but he was declared dead at the scene.
- Updated Manhunt underway in Sweetwater after attempted traffic stop
- Updated Abilene shooting victim's mother reacts to suspect's arrest
- Updated Abilene man arrested for aggravated kidnapping of girlfriend
- Updated Abilene residents weigh in on 25 years of the World Wide Web
- Updated No tax increases in proposed Brownwood budget for 2016-2017