SAN ANGELO, Texas - A jury has sentenced a 32-year-old man to 99 years in prison for the shooting death of his wife.
The San Angelo Standard-Times reports Matthew Sammuel Salazar was previously convicted of fatally shooting his wife in August. He had told authorities that he found his wife naked inside of his friend's home in Tom Green County.
He received his sentence Thursday.
The jury heard a recording Tuesday from a 911 call in which Salazar admitted to shooting his wife.
Salazar's attorney says he was surprised by the length of the sentence. He says his client was "understandably upset" after learning his punishment, but "understands there must be consequences."
- Brownwood police asking for public's help in finding escaped man
- Blanket man gets 15 years for two separate agg. assault cases
- Brownwood woman gets 20 years in prison for injuring child
- Brownwood City Council approves bid for sports complex additions
- Brownwood City Council unanimously passes new budget