SAN ANTONIO - (AP) - A San Antonio elementary school teacher is being accused of slapping a 9-year-old girl in his third-grade class.
Karl Nicholas has been arrested and charged with knowingly causing injury to a child, a third-degree felony.
The San Antonio Express-News reports (http://bit.ly/ZcxG9Q) the 63-year-old teacher has been placed on leave by his school district.
Court records did not immediately indicate if Nicholas has an attorney.
According to an arrest affidavit by San Antonio school district police, Nicholas is accused of slapping the girl during class at Stewart Elementary on Monday after she had allegedly been unruly.
School district spokeswoman Leslie Price says officials worked quickly to remove Nicholas from the class after the accusations against him were made.
- Brother of fallen Dyess airman killed week before 1st anniversary of plane crash
- Callahan County employees, residents react to jail decision
- Brown County cities see decline in sales tax revenues for July
- Callahan County commissioners reverse decision to 'vacate' jail
- Totals: 5+ inches of rain recorded in parts of West Texas over weekend