McKINNEY, Texas (AP) - Six North Texas children have been injured after an explosion that occurred after they poured gas from a can onto an open fire pit.
Four children were airlifted to an area hospital after the Monday afternoon explosion in McKinney, north of Dallas.
McKinney fire department spokeswoman Stacie Durham says the six children are believed to have been left unsupervised in the backyard. Adults were inside the home.
Durham says someone sprinkled gasoline from a can onto the open fire and left the can near the fire. She says fumes from the can ignited.
All six children were near the can when it exploded.
The children range from ages 4 to 11.