ROSHARON, Texas - (AP) - Investigators say a skydiver has been killed after plunging to the ground when one of his parachutes failed to open during a Houston-area jump.
The Brazoria County Sheriff's Office says the accident happened Saturday afternoon. The name of the man who died wasn't immediately released.
Officials with Skydive Spaceland in Rosharon (roh-SHEH'-r'n) on Sunday said the experienced skydiver had activated his main parachute, then released it and for unknown reasons never activated his reserve chute.
A statement from the company says the victim did not have optional emergency devices that would have activated his reserve parachute automatically.
Rosharon is 15 miles south of Houston.
- Brownwood police asking for public's help in finding escaped man
- Blanket man gets 15 years for two separate agg. assault cases
- Brownwood woman gets 20 years in prison for injuring child
- Brownwood City Council approves bid for sports complex additions
- Brownwood City Council unanimously passes new budget