KILLEEN, Texas (AP) - A soldier has died after being shot during a Central Texas parking lot attack that left two other men critically hurt and the gunman on the run.
Fort Hood officials on Monday announced the death of 25-year-old Spec. Austin James Sampson of Bliss, N.Y.
Killeen police are trying to determine a motive for the Jan. 2 shootings in a convenience store parking lot. Police say the Iraq War veteran and two other men were in an SUV when a gunman approached and opened fire.
Sampson died Friday at a hospital in Temple. Further details on the two survivors weren't immediately available.
Sampson had been assigned to Fort Hood's Headquarters Troop, 3rd Squadron, 3rd Cavalry Regiment, since February 2010.
- Abilene parents keeping daughter's memory alive with foundation
- Abilene police find heroin in house, arrest 4 on drug charges
- Bangs students learn from Monday's presidential debate
- KTXS Forecast: Slight warm up today then another cold front arrives Thursday
- Brownwood murder suspect's lawyer asks for bond reduction, gag order
- Brother of fallen Dyess airman killed week before 1st anniversary of plane crash
- Callahan County employees, residents react to jail decision
- Brown County cities see decline in sales tax revenues for July
- Callahan County commissioners reverse decision to 'vacate' jail
- Totals: 5+ inches of rain recorded in parts of West Texas over weekend