KILLEEN, Texas (AP) - A soldier has died after being shot during a Central Texas parking lot attack that left two other men critically hurt and the gunman on the run.
Fort Hood officials on Monday announced the death of 25-year-old Spec. Austin James Sampson of Bliss, N.Y.
Killeen police are trying to determine a motive for the Jan. 2 shootings in a convenience store parking lot. Police say the Iraq War veteran and two other men were in an SUV when a gunman approached and opened fire.
Sampson died Friday at a hospital in Temple. Further details on the two survivors weren't immediately available.
Sampson had been assigned to Fort Hood's Headquarters Troop, 3rd Squadron, 3rd Cavalry Regiment, since February 2010.
- Updated Abilene councilman on water bill complaints: Meters are being read
- Updated Foreign national leads high-speed chase, fires shots through Big Country
- Updated City of Abilene receives 2,000+ complaints or comments about water bills
- Updated Abilene requests proposals for new downtown hotel and 'festival district'
- Updated August 2016 ties August 1914 as wettest in Texas
- Abilene requests proposals for new downtown hotel and 'festival district'
- Paint Creek reacts to Perry's Dancing with the Stars casting
- Businesses near Big Country lakes hoping for big Labor Day turnout
- Zephyr ISD sues over faulty turf, relocates home football games
- Hunters, Abilene charity anticipate start of dove hunting season