KILLEEN, Texas (AP) - A soldier has died after being shot during a Central Texas parking lot attack that left two other men critically hurt and the gunman on the run.
Fort Hood officials on Monday announced the death of 25-year-old Spec. Austin James Sampson of Bliss, N.Y.
Killeen police are trying to determine a motive for the Jan. 2 shootings in a convenience store parking lot. Police say the Iraq War veteran and two other men were in an SUV when a gunman approached and opened fire.
Sampson died Friday at a hospital in Temple. Further details on the two survivors weren't immediately available.
Sampson had been assigned to Fort Hood's Headquarters Troop, 3rd Squadron, 3rd Cavalry Regiment, since February 2010.
- Bus carrying high school cheerleaders collides with 18-wheeler on I-20; 2 in critical condition
- City of Abilene seeking firm to conduct water rate study
- KTXS Forecast: Cloudy, cool and showery weekend
- Rangers turn completed Brown Co. Attorney investigation over to feds
- Goodfellows spread holiday cheer in Sweetwater with toy drive
- Christmas market in Abilene benefits African orphanage
- Russian man caught with synthetic opioid in Abilene, could face deportation
- Abilene's Food for Fares campaign nearing its end
- City of Abilene offering trolley tour of homes decorated for holidays
- Abilene parents fear impending cuts to therapy for children