KILLEEN, Texas (AP) - A soldier has died after being shot during a Central Texas parking lot attack that left two other men critically hurt and the gunman on the run.
Fort Hood officials on Monday announced the death of 25-year-old Spec. Austin James Sampson of Bliss, N.Y.
Killeen police are trying to determine a motive for the Jan. 2 shootings in a convenience store parking lot. Police say the Iraq War veteran and two other men were in an SUV when a gunman approached and opened fire.
Sampson died Friday at a hospital in Temple. Further details on the two survivors weren't immediately available.
Sampson had been assigned to Fort Hood's Headquarters Troop, 3rd Squadron, 3rd Cavalry Regiment, since February 2010.
- Updated Volkswagen agrees to compensate US dealers over emissions scandal
- Abilene man charged with criminally negligent homicide in fiery 2014 crash
- Abilene non-profit raising money with rappelling event
- Abilene City Council declines to approve curbside recycling program
- Surgeon general warns doctors on opioid epidemic