AUSTIN, Texas (AP) - A student at an Austin high school has shot and killed himself as others gathered nearby for lunch.
School officials said no one else was harmed in the shooting shortly after noon Tuesday at Lanier High School. Junior Alex Hernandez said the boy was sitting alone in a courtyard outside the cafeteria when he pulled out a handgun.
Superintendent Meria Carstarphen said in a statement posted on the Austin school district's website that the school was placed on lockdown before students were released to the custody of their parents.
She said counselors will be provided to meet with students.
- Mysterious fireball seen across Big Country likely a meteorite
- Police looking into social media accounts of suspects in Abilene realtor's murder
- San Angelo council to consider naming new member after embattled councilman resigns
- Reward offered for killer of 8-year-old Texas girl
- Hardin-Simmons to host regional in Division III basketball tournament
- 18 people displaced after Brownwood apartment fire
- Brown County judge orders new trial for man convicted of child sex crimes
- Blood drive in Early held to honor deceased student
- Brownwood man arrested for forging checks found while detailing truck
- Lawmaker proposes ending Brown County Attorney's pre-trial donation program