AUSTIN, Texas (AP) - A student at an Austin high school has shot and killed himself as others gathered nearby for lunch.
School officials said no one else was harmed in the shooting shortly after noon Tuesday at Lanier High School. Junior Alex Hernandez said the boy was sitting alone in a courtyard outside the cafeteria when he pulled out a handgun.
Superintendent Meria Carstarphen said in a statement posted on the Austin school district's website that the school was placed on lockdown before students were released to the custody of their parents.
She said counselors will be provided to meet with students.
- Mistrial declared in sexual assault case against ex-Anson police chief
- Updated Female football official earning her stripes
- Texas presidential poll shows Trump with lead going into election
- Abilene City Council approves hiring two code enforcement officers
- Updated KTXS Forecast: Feeling like late September temperatures
- Brown County commissioners approve sale of old sheriff's office and jail
- Brownwood seeking community input on proposed dog park
- Police: Driver flees after crashing into Early apartment, found at liquor store
- Sheriff, family ask for public's help with Lake Brownwood murder case
- Inaugural Barktoberfest taking place Saturday seeks to help Brownwood youth