HOUSTON, Texas - (AP) - A suburban Houston police officer is hospitalized in stable condition after she was shot by a passenger in a vehicle she pulled over.
Authorities say Stafford Officer Ann Carrizales stopped a car carrying three men about 3:30 a.m. Saturday and was shot in the face and chest while she was speaking to the driver.
She returned fire as the car fled, got back in her patrol car and gave pursuit.
Stafford Police Lt. Dustin Claborn says other police agencies joined in the chase and the car was found at an apartment complex in nearby Missouri City. Claborn says two men from Honduras, both believed in the U.S. without legal permission, are in custody.
Police credit Carrizales' body armor for saving her life.
Stafford is just southwest of Houston.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated