LA GRANGE, Texas (AP) - Investigators say a driver linked to a hit-and-run accident in Central Texas drank men's cologne to try to mask the smell of alcohol on his breath.
The Fayette County Sheriff's Office says John David Conwill of Cat Spring was being held Thursday on a charge of possession of a controlled substance. No attorney was listed for Conwill, whose bond is $5,000.
Deputies reported finding Xanax and open alcohol containers in Conwill's vehicle during a stop near Plum, 50 miles southeast of Austin. Conwill faces charges over a traffic accident earlier Wednesday in Travis County. Nobody was hurt.
Deputies said empty cologne bottles were in his vehicle. Cologne residue was on Conwill, who received an open container citation. He did not get sick from drinking an undetermined amount of cologne.
- Brownwood police asking for public's help in finding escaped man
- Blanket man gets 15 years for two separate agg. assault cases
- Brownwood woman gets 20 years in prison for injuring child
- Brownwood City Council approves bid for sports complex additions
- Brownwood City Council unanimously passes new budget