FORT WORTH, Texas (AP) - A 16-year-old boy was killed when he was hit by a train while crossing railroad tracks in Fort Worth after four other friends crossed unharmed.
the boy was pronounced dead at the scene Sunday afternoon.
Police Cpl. Tracey Knight said five boys ages 15 to 16 were headed to a neighborhood store when they walked between the cars of a parked train and then ran across another set of tracks in front of the moving train.
Union Pacific spokeswoman Raquel Espinoza said a train engineer reported seeing a group of people near the track and sounded a whistle. She said they were not at a railroad crossing.
She says Union Pacific officials have begun an investigation.
- Big Country 100 Men Who Care gives away another $10,000
- Abilene woman reunited with sister after travel ban struck down
- Man in custody after four-hour standoff in north Abilene
- John Lackey commemorative billboard to serve multiple purposes
- Recycling, parking, discussed at special Abilene City Council meeting