DENTON, Texas - (AP) - A North Texas man caught at a hospital seeking help for his stab wounds has been sentenced to life in prison for killing his girlfriend and wounding her son.
A jury in Denton on Friday convicted 25-year-old Manuel Nelson Flores-Carrasco of capital murder and aggravated assault. He received an automatic life prison term without parole for capital murder because prosecutors didn't seek the death penalty. The 20-year term for assault will be served concurrently.
Lewisville police say 39-year-old Norma Gomez and her then-16-year-old son were attacked last August at their apartment. Both victims were transported to a hospital and the woman later died.
Police say her boyfriend sought medical attention for stab wounds that investigators say could have been self-inflicted or happened during a struggle.
- Mysterious fireball seen across Big Country likely a meteorite
- Police looking into social media accounts of suspects in Abilene realtor's murder
- San Angelo council to consider naming new member after embattled councilman resigns
- Reward offered for killer of 8-year-old Texas girl
- Updated Hardin-Simmons to host regional in Division III basketball tournament
- 18 people displaced after Brownwood apartment fire
- Brown County judge orders new trial for man convicted of child sex crimes
- Blood drive in Early held to honor deceased student
- Brownwood man arrested for forging checks found while detailing truck
- Lawmaker proposes ending Brown County Attorney's pre-trial donation program