DENTON, Texas - (AP) - A North Texas man caught at a hospital seeking help for his stab wounds has been sentenced to life in prison for killing his girlfriend and wounding her son.
A jury in Denton on Friday convicted 25-year-old Manuel Nelson Flores-Carrasco of capital murder and aggravated assault. He received an automatic life prison term without parole for capital murder because prosecutors didn't seek the death penalty. The 20-year term for assault will be served concurrently.
Lewisville police say 39-year-old Norma Gomez and her then-16-year-old son were attacked last August at their apartment. Both victims were transported to a hospital and the woman later died.
Police say her boyfriend sought medical attention for stab wounds that investigators say could have been self-inflicted or happened during a struggle.
- Video of woman chasing cat on Texas tollway prompts warning
- Perfect strangers perform unforgettable duet at Texas hospital
- Abilene man, 32, sentenced to 18 years for June 2014 shooting death
- New Mexico governor: 10-year-old girl's death worst she's seen
- Updated Mark Rowlett: Tracking continued afternoon and evening thundershower chances