DENTON, Texas - (AP) - A North Texas man caught at a hospital seeking help for his stab wounds has been sentenced to life in prison for killing his girlfriend and wounding her son.
A jury in Denton on Friday convicted 25-year-old Manuel Nelson Flores-Carrasco of capital murder and aggravated assault. He received an automatic life prison term without parole for capital murder because prosecutors didn't seek the death penalty. The 20-year term for assault will be served concurrently.
Lewisville police say 39-year-old Norma Gomez and her then-16-year-old son were attacked last August at their apartment. Both victims were transported to a hospital and the woman later died.
Police say her boyfriend sought medical attention for stab wounds that investigators say could have been self-inflicted or happened during a struggle.
- Bond set at $750,000: Son of ex-Brady police chief arrested for murdering mother
- Updated Sentencing phase kicks off in murder trial of Abilene teen
- Victims ID'd: San Angelo man & boy, 4, apparently drowned while fishing
- San Angelo woman dies in three-vehicle collision near Ballinger
- Recent thefts raise eyebrows at Abilene hardware store
- Candlelight vigil held in Brownwood for domestic violence victims
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Fire at Abilene car dealership
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer