ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) - Texas A&M officials say freshman defensive lineman Polo Manukainiu has died in a rollover crash in New Mexico during a trip home from Utah.
New Mexico State Police said Gaius Vaenuku, an incoming member of the Utah football team, also died after the wreck.
Manukainiu was a 19-year-old redshirt freshman.
The wreck occurred on U.S. 550 just north of Cuba.
State Police said Manukainiu and Vaenuku were passengers in a 2002 Toyota Sequoia traveling southbound on the highway. The vehicle drifted off of the road, the driver overcorrected, and the vehicle rolled several times.
Manukainiu and another passenger, Andrew Uhatafe, were ejected from the vehicle and died at the scene. Vaenuku was transported from the scene but was pronounced dead in the ambulance.
The driver and a fifth passenger were transported to a hospital with minor injuries. Officials say alcohol wasn't involved.
- Updated Abilene councilman on water bill complaints: Meters are being read
- Updated Foreign national leads high-speed chase, fires shots through Big Country
- Updated City of Abilene receives 2,000+ complaints or comments about water bills
- Updated Abilene requests proposals for new downtown hotel and 'festival district'
- Updated August 2016 ties August 1914 as wettest in Texas
- Abilene requests proposals for new downtown hotel and 'festival district'
- Paint Creek reacts to Perry's Dancing with the Stars casting
- Businesses near Big Country lakes hoping for big Labor Day turnout
- Zephyr ISD sues over faulty turf, relocates home football games
- Hunters, Abilene charity anticipate start of dove hunting season