ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) - Texas A&M officials say freshman defensive lineman Polo Manukainiu has died in a rollover crash in New Mexico during a trip home from Utah.
New Mexico State Police said Gaius Vaenuku, an incoming member of the Utah football team, also died after the wreck.
Manukainiu was a 19-year-old redshirt freshman.
The wreck occurred on U.S. 550 just north of Cuba.
State Police said Manukainiu and Vaenuku were passengers in a 2002 Toyota Sequoia traveling southbound on the highway. The vehicle drifted off of the road, the driver overcorrected, and the vehicle rolled several times.
Manukainiu and another passenger, Andrew Uhatafe, were ejected from the vehicle and died at the scene. Vaenuku was transported from the scene but was pronounced dead in the ambulance.
The driver and a fifth passenger were transported to a hospital with minor injuries. Officials say alcohol wasn't involved.
- Mistrial declared in sexual assault case against ex-Anson police chief
- Female football official earning her stripes
- Texas presidential poll shows Trump with lead going into election
- Abilene City Council approves hiring two code enforcement officers
- KTXS Forecast: Feeling like late September temperatures
- Brown County commissioners approve sale of old sheriff's office and jail
- Brownwood seeking community input on proposed dog park
- Police: Driver flees after crashing into Early apartment, found at liquor store
- Sheriff, family ask for public's help with Lake Brownwood murder case
- Inaugural Barktoberfest taking place Saturday seeks to help Brownwood youth