FORT HOOD, Texas - FORT HOOD, Texas (AP) - During his time on active duty, Tigris patrolled for explosives in Afghanistan with special forces soldiers and assisted the Secret Service in Dallas.
Now, the 5-year-old retired German shepherd spends his days playing Frisbee with his former handler and new owner, Sgt. Hailey Shappard.
"I want to give him a good life because he's been working for the Army for five years," said Shappard, a military working dog handler with the 226th Military Police Detachment, 89th Military Police Brigade.
"I still do the basic stuff with him at home so he doesn't lose discipline. ... Most of the time we just play," she told the Killeen Daily Herald.
Shappard joined Fort Hood's kennels two years ago, and Tigris was the third dog she worked with. The two spent a year working together as a certified explosives detection team.
"It was an instant bond," the sergeant said. "It just felt right. The other dogs I liked ... but when I got to Tigris and started working with him, I knew. We had this connection."
- 6 cows killed, deputy hurt in suspected drunk driving crash
- Residents of community near Snyder report not having water since Wednesday
- Texas wife sentenced to prison for killing officer husband
- Kidnapped Border Patrol agent says he feared for family
- 3-year-old boy dies after he's found in hot car in Texas
- State cornhole championship held in Abilene
- 5 car wreck on Winters Freeway, 1 injured
- 24-hour amateur radio field day taking place this weekend
- 2 taken to Abilene hospital after vehicle strikes go-kart
- CityLink addresses driver shortage with pay bump
- Friends of the Library raises over $60,000 at annual Abilene book sale
- Amputee golf tournament taking place at Lake Brownwood
- Owner of Brownwood restaurant and motel disputes $97,000 fine for health violations
- Budget shortfall affecting maintenance at Texas state parks
- Brownwood ISD, emergency agencies conduct response drills
- Early ISD continuing research on proposal to arm teachers, staff
- 4th of July celebrations around the Big Country
- Area's best showcase their stuff in the State Lineman Challenge
- Train derailed by strong winds in Mitchell County
- More than 100 barrels of oil stolen from Nolan County drilling company
- Brownwood battles heat, snags 7-on-7 state spot in duel with Merkel
- Wanted Wednesday: Abilene police looking for 2 capital murder suspects
- Police arrest 2 Abilene men for stealing car, breaking into 'numerous' vehicles in Merkel