DAYTON, Texas (AP) - Investigators say a 12-year-old Southeast Texas boy has been critically burned in a fire he started when using gasoline to try to get rid of some ants.
The Liberty County Sheriff's Office said the boy from Dayton suffered burns over 80 percent of his body Sunday and was transported to a Houston hospital. The name of the child hasn't been released and further details on his condition were not immediately available Monday.
Capt. Ken DeFoor said the boy accidentally set himself on fire as he poured gasoline on the ant hills and tried to burn the insects.
DeFoor said the flame from the ant hills reached a plastic container of gasoline that the boy was using outside his home in Dayton, about 35 miles northeast of Houston.
- Chili Day and Auction raises money for children's programs
- Woman, 36, is 2nd arrested in connection with Abilene mother's murder
- Workshop at ACU gets people ready for gardening season
- McMurry professor highlights 181st anniversary of the Battle of the Alamo
- State seeks death penalty for man accused of killing correctional officer
- Brown County judge orders new trial for man convicted of child sex crimes
- Blood drive in Early held to honor deceased student
- Brownwood man arrested for forging checks found while detailing truck
- Lawmaker proposes ending Brown County Attorney's pre-trial donation program
- Wildfire academy held in Brownwood amid high fire danger
- TxDOT repairs section of Highway 6 destroyed by 2016 flood
- Ira ISD superintendent announces retirement after long career
- Sweetwater ISD makes choice for new head football coach/athletic director
- Brownwood man accused of conning people has criminal record
- DPS identifies driver, 32, killed in Callahan County crash