DAYTON, Texas (AP) - Investigators say a 12-year-old Southeast Texas boy has been critically burned in a fire he started when using gasoline to try to get rid of some ants.
The Liberty County Sheriff's Office said the boy from Dayton suffered burns over 80 percent of his body Sunday and was transported to a Houston hospital. The name of the child hasn't been released and further details on his condition were not immediately available Monday.
Capt. Ken DeFoor said the boy accidentally set himself on fire as he poured gasoline on the ant hills and tried to burn the insects.
DeFoor said the flame from the ant hills reached a plastic container of gasoline that the boy was using outside his home in Dayton, about 35 miles northeast of Houston.
- Updated Police: Man now faces murder change in Big Spring after woman, 64, dies
- Abilene police chief posts on social media after 10 morning crashes
- Girl, 8, gets $10K scholarship to University of North Texas after video
- Taylor County woman pleads guilty for injuring her children
- Two-headed rat snake gets new home at Central Texas zoo
- Blanket man gets 15 years for two separate agg. assault cases
- Brownwood police asking for public's help in finding escaped man
- Brownwood woman gets 20 years in prison for injuring child
- Brownwood City Council approves bid for sports complex additions
- Brownwood City Council unanimously passes new budget