BRENHAM, Texas - (AP) - A Central Texas veterinarian has surgically removed a fifth leg from the back of an otherwise healthy calf.
Dr. Lee Panko (PAN'-koh) of Brenham Veterinary Hospital on Saturday called it a rare, interesting case and says the prognosis for the Brangus calf is good.
The Houston Chronicle (http://bit.ly/XpP8MF ) reports the calf was born March 9. Panko on Tuesday did surgery on the 120-pound female calf owned by Charles and Karen Harmel of nearby Burton.
The veterinarian says the extra leg was similar to the calf's normal front legs. The extra leg that dangled over the calf's back was not connected to the spine so the surgery just required removal of the limb. Panko sent the calf home with the Harmels later Tuesday.
Brenham is 70 miles northwest of Houston.
- Brownwood police asking for public's help in finding escaped man
- Blanket man gets 15 years for two separate agg. assault cases
- Brownwood woman gets 20 years in prison for injuring child
- Brownwood City Council approves bid for sports complex additions
- Brownwood City Council unanimously passes new budget