SAN ANTONIO, Texas - Wealthy alumni usually finance new football stadiums or libraries at their old colleges. Tom and Leti Contreras are donating nearly $1 million to build a bar.
The couple met at St. Mary's University in the 1980s at an on-campus spot known as The Pub. It closed shortly thereafter and has left the small San Antonio liberal arts college without a watering hole ever since.
Tom Contreras told the San Antonio Express-News that he wants St. Mary's to "go another level" and attract quality students. He says the college needs to bring back a community atmosphere.
Construction is set to begin this fall. Preliminary plans call for a 1,200-square-foot bar with TVs and a stage for live music.
The new pub is scheduled to open next year.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated