SAN ANTONIO, Texas - Wealthy alumni usually finance new football stadiums or libraries at their old colleges. Tom and Leti Contreras are donating nearly $1 million to build a bar.
The couple met at St. Mary's University in the 1980s at an on-campus spot known as The Pub. It closed shortly thereafter and has left the small San Antonio liberal arts college without a watering hole ever since.
Tom Contreras told the San Antonio Express-News that he wants St. Mary's to "go another level" and attract quality students. He says the college needs to bring back a community atmosphere.
Construction is set to begin this fall. Preliminary plans call for a 1,200-square-foot bar with TVs and a stage for live music.
The new pub is scheduled to open next year.
- Updated Panel could recommend scrapping STAAR tests
- Updated Video shows man using stolen credit card at Abilene store
- Updated Wanted Wednesday: Man, 21, sought by Abilene police
- Updated Texas Border Patrol agents save nearly 40 immigrants
- Updated Cash Saver renovating property for new Abilene location