SAN ANTONIO, Texas - Wealthy alumni usually finance new football stadiums or libraries at their old colleges. Tom and Leti Contreras are donating nearly $1 million to build a bar.
The couple met at St. Mary's University in the 1980s at an on-campus spot known as The Pub. It closed shortly thereafter and has left the small San Antonio liberal arts college without a watering hole ever since.
Tom Contreras told the San Antonio Express-News that he wants St. Mary's to "go another level" and attract quality students. He says the college needs to bring back a community atmosphere.
Construction is set to begin this fall. Preliminary plans call for a 1,200-square-foot bar with TVs and a stage for live music.
The new pub is scheduled to open next year.
- Updated Abilene City Council declines to approve curbside recycling program
- Updated Abilene non-profit raising money with rappelling event
- City of Abilene to give away 100 rain barrel kits
- Updated Country music star Vince Gill tours West Texas Rehab in Abilene
- Updated Clyde family raising money for son nearly paralyzed in wreck