DAYTON, Texas (AP) - A Houston-area law enforcement officer is hospitalized in critical condition after he was struck by a pickup that barreled through a traffic barricade.
Liberty County Precinct 1 constable Justin Johnston was directing traffic along a busy route near Dayton on Wednesday when authorities say the pickup driver drove on the road's shoulder to avoid a line of vehicles.
The pickup drove through the barricade, struck a Liberty County sheriff's patrol car and then hit Johnston, who suffered a head injury.
Liberty County sheriff's Capt. Ken DeFoor told KHOU-TV that officers who were directing traffic had the emergency lights on their vehicles flashing and couldn't be missed.
Both Johnston and the driver of the pickup were flown to a hospital. Authorities say a child in the pickup suffered minor injuries.
- ACU's Sing Song competition brings visitors, dollars to Abilene
- 2 dead in shooting during fight at Houston strip club
- Police seek help finding suitcase linked to Colorado murder
- Hunters charged in Texas shooting who had blamed immigrants
- Stepson talks how shooter, victim met before San Angelo murder-suicide