GALVESTON, Texas (AP) - A couple arrested in Nevada has agreed to be extradited back to South Texas on child-abuse charges that allege they forced a 9-year-old to live at times in a locked wooden box.
The 43-year-old man and his 49-year-old wife appeared Thursday for a hearing in Las Vegas, two days after being found in a home near the Las Vegas Strip.
Galveston authorities had been searching for the couple since last month, when they were indicted on various counts that include injury to a child. The man is the father of the boy and the woman his stepmother.
The boy ran away from home last July and is now in foster care. The home was searched for evidence of possible child pornography and investigators say they found an 8-by-6-foot particleboard box.
- Big Country high school marching bands compete at Abilene stadium
- Taylor Co. residents to vote on $55M bond to renovate expo center
- Bond set at $750,000: Son of ex-Brady police chief arrested for murdering mother
- Sheriff, family ask for public's help with Lake Brownwood murder case
- KTXS Forecast: Warm and likely dry
- Candlelight vigil held in Brownwood for domestic violence victims
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Fire at Abilene car dealership
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer