GALVESTON, Texas (AP) - A couple arrested in Nevada has agreed to be extradited back to South Texas on child-abuse charges that allege they forced a 9-year-old to live at times in a locked wooden box.
The 43-year-old man and his 49-year-old wife appeared Thursday for a hearing in Las Vegas, two days after being found in a home near the Las Vegas Strip.
Galveston authorities had been searching for the couple since last month, when they were indicted on various counts that include injury to a child. The man is the father of the boy and the woman his stepmother.
The boy ran away from home last July and is now in foster care. The home was searched for evidence of possible child pornography and investigators say they found an 8-by-6-foot particleboard box.
- Updated Supporters mark slain girl's 10th birthday in Albuquerque
- Updated Police: 2 College Station deaths related to drugs, robbery
- Updated KTXS Forecast: Afternoon pop-up showers possible each day this week
- Updated Fried Jell-O among top food winners for State Fair of Texas
- Updated Construction to begin on Highway 351 in north Abilene