GALVESTON, Texas (AP) - A couple arrested in Nevada has agreed to be extradited back to South Texas on child-abuse charges that allege they forced a 9-year-old to live at times in a locked wooden box.
The 43-year-old man and his 49-year-old wife appeared Thursday for a hearing in Las Vegas, two days after being found in a home near the Las Vegas Strip.
Galveston authorities had been searching for the couple since last month, when they were indicted on various counts that include injury to a child. The man is the father of the boy and the woman his stepmother.
The boy ran away from home last July and is now in foster care. The home was searched for evidence of possible child pornography and investigators say they found an 8-by-6-foot particleboard box.
- Police looking into social media accounts of suspects in Abilene realtor's murder
- Mysterious fireball seen across Big Country likely a meteorite
- Families displaced in Brownwood apartment fire find new homes
- Updated KTXS Forecast: Fire danger Tuesday with very warm and windy conditions
- San Angelo council to consider naming new member after embattled councilman resigns
- Texas A&M Forest Service conducts prescribed burns at Camp Bowie
- 18 people displaced after Brownwood apartment fire
- Brown County judge orders new trial for man convicted of child sex crimes
- Blood drive in Early held to honor deceased student
- Brownwood man arrested for forging checks found while detailing truck