WACO, Texas - Two fertilizer companies sued following the massive explosion in West last year that killed 15 people are claiming the small town is partly to blame.
El Dorado Chemical Co. and CF Industries contend in court filings that West failed to properly train first responders and had lax protocols in place to battle the April 2013 blast.
The Waco Tribune-Herald reports that motions filed in state court in Waco seek to designate the city of West as a "responsible third party" in lawsuits filed against the companies.
Most of those killed in the West Fertilizer Co. explosion were firefighters and first responders.
The Texas State Fire Marshal's Office concluded in a recent report that firefighters weren't prepared for the dangers of the blaze that led to the explosion.
- Manhunt underway in Sweetwater after attempted traffic stop
- Abilene shooting victim's mother reacts to suspect's arrest
- Abilene man arrested for aggravated kidnapping of girlfriend
- KTXS Forecast: Drier and warmer weather for most to finish the work week
- Abilene residents weigh in on 25 years of the World Wide Web