MOUNT PLEASANT, Texas (AP) - An Amber Alert for a 14-year-old East Texas girl allegedly abducted by her ex-boyfriend has been canceled after she was found and rescued.
Mount Pleasant police Chief Wayne Isbell said Monday that 23-year-old Jesus Ramirez was obsessed with the girl he secretly dated. Authorities say Ramirez is in custody and the girl is safe.
Police said Ramirez abducted the teen, her 4-year-old sister and their mother from outside church Sunday afternoon. The mother and sister were freed unharmed. The vehicle Ramirez was driving was recovered after being wrecked just before 5 p.m. Sunday on a county road just west of Mount Pleasant.
Isbell said Ramirez was charged with sexual assault of a child after the girl's family learned the two had a relationship and forced them to break up.
- Updated Italy earthquake: A country in mourning begins burying the dead
- Abilene Fire Department working house fire on Graham Street
- Enrollment up at Abilene, Wylie school districts
- Video of woman chasing cat on Texas tollway prompts warning
- Perfect strangers perform unforgettable duet at Texas hospital