AUSTIN, Texas (AP) - The House has formally named the pecan pie Texas' official state pie.
Wednesday's ceremonial resolution doing so was sponsored by first-year Rep. Marsha Farney, a Republican from Georgetown, north of Austin.
Since it was her first bill, Farney underwent a few minutes of gentle hazing after introducing the measure on the House floor.
One of Farney's colleagues razzed: "Do you have a recipe?" Another wanted to know if she was saying "too bad to the apple pie" which some say is America's official pie.
They also asked for amendments that only Texans pecans be used in pecan pies statewide, and that it formally be declared illegal to include chocolate when baking one.
In honor of Farney's measure, the state Capitol cafeteria sold pecan pie Wednesday.
- Updated JCPenney to close up to 140 stores
- Savage threatens resignation from city council over business issue
- Updated Lawmaker proposes ending Brown County Attorney's pre-trial donation program
- Texas ag commisisoner calls for ‘hog apocalypse'
- Abilene City Council chooses water rate study after high bills