HUNTSVILLE, Texas (AP) - A federal judge has refused to stop the scheduled execution this week of a rap musician condemned for the robbery-slaying of a San Antonio recording studio owner more than 15 years ago.
Ray Jasper is set to for lethal injection Wednesday evening in Huntsville for the November 1998 attack that killed 33-year-old David Alejandro. The 33-year-old Jasper has insisted that although he slashed Alejandro's throat, it was a partner who delivered the fatal stab wounds. Prosecutors say Jasper masterminded the attack.
Jasper's appeals lawyers have argued that a potential juror was removed improperly during jury selection because of race. U.S. District Court Judge Fred Biery in San Antonio rejected the appeal Tuesday.
Jasper is one of three men convicted in the slaying. Two others are serving life prison sentences.
- Chili Day and Auction raises money for children's programs
- Woman, 36, is 2nd arrested in connection with Abilene mother's murder
- Workshop at ACU gets people ready for gardening season
- McMurry professor highlights 181st anniversary of the Battle of the Alamo
- State seeks death penalty for man accused of killing correctional officer
- Brown County judge orders new trial for man convicted of child sex crimes
- Blood drive in Early held to honor deceased student
- Brownwood man arrested for forging checks found while detailing truck
- Lawmaker proposes ending Brown County Attorney's pre-trial donation program
- Wildfire academy held in Brownwood amid high fire danger
- TxDOT repairs section of Highway 6 destroyed by 2016 flood
- Ira ISD superintendent announces retirement after long career
- Sweetwater ISD makes choice for new head football coach/athletic director
- Brownwood man accused of conning people has criminal record
- DPS identifies driver, 32, killed in Callahan County crash