HUNTSVILLE, Texas (AP) - A federal judge has refused to stop the scheduled execution this week of a rap musician condemned for the robbery-slaying of a San Antonio recording studio owner more than 15 years ago.
Ray Jasper is set to for lethal injection Wednesday evening in Huntsville for the November 1998 attack that killed 33-year-old David Alejandro. The 33-year-old Jasper has insisted that although he slashed Alejandro's throat, it was a partner who delivered the fatal stab wounds. Prosecutors say Jasper masterminded the attack.
Jasper's appeals lawyers have argued that a potential juror was removed improperly during jury selection because of race. U.S. District Court Judge Fred Biery in San Antonio rejected the appeal Tuesday.
Jasper is one of three men convicted in the slaying. Two others are serving life prison sentences.
- Updated Abilene man charged with criminally negligent homicide in fiery 2014 crash
- Updated Abilene City Council declines to approve curbside recycling program
- Updated Surgeon general warns doctors on opioid epidemic
- Updated Texas promised to track oilfield waste in aquifers. It didn't
- Updated Police: Abilene kidnapping suspect threatened to kill victim, family