ODESSA, Texas - Authorities say they've arrested a West Texas man who shot a motorist while attempting to steal his vehicle and then later also shot a pursuing sheriff's deputy.
Darrell D. Green of Odessa was being held without bail Saturday at the Ector County jail. He's charged with attempted capital murder of a peace officer, aggravated robbery and other offenses.
Ector County Sheriff Mark Donaldson says Green shot the motorist Friday at a convenience store during an attempted carjacking. The unidentified victim underwent surgery and his condition was not known Saturday.
Deputy Javier Leyva responded to the incident and authorities say he was shot in the leg while in his cruiser. Donaldson says another shot missed Leyva's head.
The deputy was treated for his wound and released.
- Brown County commissioners approve sale of old sheriff's office and jail
- Brownwood seeking community input on proposed dog park
- Police: Driver flees after crashing into Early apartment, found at liquor store
- Sheriff, family ask for public's help with Lake Brownwood murder case
- Inaugural Barktoberfest taking place Saturday seeks to help Brownwood youth