ODESSA, Texas - Authorities say they've arrested a West Texas man who shot a motorist while attempting to steal his vehicle and then later also shot a pursuing sheriff's deputy.
Darrell D. Green of Odessa was being held without bail Saturday at the Ector County jail. He's charged with attempted capital murder of a peace officer, aggravated robbery and other offenses.
Ector County Sheriff Mark Donaldson says Green shot the motorist Friday at a convenience store during an attempted carjacking. The unidentified victim underwent surgery and his condition was not known Saturday.
Deputy Javier Leyva responded to the incident and authorities say he was shot in the leg while in his cruiser. Donaldson says another shot missed Leyva's head.
The deputy was treated for his wound and released.
- Texas Senate to vote on bill to fund downtown Abilene hotel
- Abilene splash pads to open for summer Wednesday
- Early voting can have significant impact on elections
- 18-wheeler carrying sheet rock flips on Abilene highway
- Abilene City Council asking for public input during special meeting
- Survey of Abilene homeless population shows increase in numbers
- Brown County police chief disgusted Brownwood man's sentence was shortened
- RadioShack latest victim in wave of corporate closures in Brownwood
- Brownwood man commuted by President Obama released from jail on Tuesday
- Police: Brownwood man wasn't victim of drive-by shooting, instead shot himself
- Brown County commissioners approve reducing speed limit on CC Woodson Road
- Brown County political forum scheduled for Tuesday night
- Coleman County voters to decide on $9.1 million bond for new LEC
- Breckenridge woman killed in rollover crash
- Zephyr ISD approves new football turf amid ongoing litigation
- Albany City Councilman gets 10 years of probation for indecency with child
- Students honor Snyder High School math teacher killed in West Texas crash
- Hwy 84/183 in Brown County reopened after 2-hour delay