STEPHENVILLE, Texas (AP) - The North Texas man accused of killing former Navy SEAL sniper Chris Kyle and another man has been arraigned on two counts of capital murder.
Eddie Ray Routh made a brief court appearance Tuesday in Erath County. The 25-year-old Routh is an Iraqi War veteran charged with killing Kyle and Chad Littlefield in February at a gun range. After the shooting, Routh fled in Kyle's pickup. He was captured a few hours later at his sister's home in Lancaster.
Routh was indicted in July. His trial is scheduled to begin Oct. 21 and he remains jailed in lieu of $3 million bail.
Kyle is considered to be the deadliest sniper in American history. His account of life during and after war, "American Sniper," was a best-seller.
- Updated Victims ID'd: San Angelo man & boy, 4, apparently drowned while fishing
- Updated Recent thefts raise eyebrows at Abilene hardware store
- Texan on 10 Most Wanted sex offender list caught in Mexico
- KTXS Forecast: Tracking scattered cloud cover with low to mid-80s for the work week
- Abilene locations to offer early voting Monday
- Candlelight vigil held in Brownwood for domestic violence victims
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated