DALLAS (AP) - A North Texas man has been sentenced to life in prison in the starvation death of his 10-year-old son.
A Dallas County jury sentenced Aaron Ramsey late Tuesday, hours after convicting him of serious injury to a child.
Prosecutors said the 35-year-old father locked his son, Johnathan, in his room, where he slowly starved on a diet of bread and water.
Investigators contend Ramsey dumped the child's emaciated body in a rural area south of Dallas in 2011. The boy's remains were found in the area a year ago in a creek.
Aaron Ramsey allegedly told police he limited the boy's meals to bread, water and sometimes milk for several months after he started misbehaving. The child's stepmother is also facing charges.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated