SAN ANTONIO (AP) - A 67-year-old man has been sentenced to decades in prison for raping his son's prom date.
Ismael Cruz claimed to have consumed more than 60 beers on the night of his son's prom in May 2012. The son's date, 19 at the time, told police she had fallen asleep at his home after an evening of drinking. She woke at some point in the night to find her dress partially removed and Cruz on top of her.
When she screamed, the son came to her aid and began beating his father.
Cruz was sentenced Monday to 35 years in prison for the rape. He faced a minimum sentence of 25 years because of two prior convictions for driving while intoxicated.
- Big Country high school marching bands compete at Abilene stadium
- Taylor Co. residents to vote on $55M bond to renovate expo center
- Bond set at $750,000: Son of ex-Brady police chief arrested for murdering mother
- Sheriff, family ask for public's help with Lake Brownwood murder case
- Sentencing phase kicks off in murder trial of Abilene teen
- Candlelight vigil held in Brownwood for domestic violence victims
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Fire at Abilene car dealership
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer