SAN ANTONIO (AP) - A 67-year-old man has been sentenced to decades in prison for raping his son's prom date.
Ismael Cruz claimed to have consumed more than 60 beers on the night of his son's prom in May 2012. The son's date, 19 at the time, told police she had fallen asleep at his home after an evening of drinking. She woke at some point in the night to find her dress partially removed and Cruz on top of her.
When she screamed, the son came to her aid and began beating his father.
Cruz was sentenced Monday to 35 years in prison for the rape. He faced a minimum sentence of 25 years because of two prior convictions for driving while intoxicated.
- Updated Ex-Abilene day care teacher fails to show for trial, warrant issued
- Updated Hunters, Abilene charity anticipate start of dove hunting season
- Updated Police: 20-year-old arrested for sexual assault of Brownwood teen
- Updated Convicted man on Texas Most Wanted sex offender list caught
- Updated KTXS Forecast: Thundershower chances stay in the forecast
- Construction to begin on Highway 351 in north Abilene
- Homeowner: '20 or 30 years of my life gone' in Abilene house fire
- Clyde community raises money for family after car accident
- Enrollment up at Abilene, Wylie school districts
- Associated Press releases it's Texas high school football rankings for Week 1
- Santa Anna man, 28, arrested on drug charges in Coleman
- Texas recognizes Brown County gun store as oldest in state
- Clyde family raising money for son nearly paralyzed in wreck
- City of Early budget proposal includes property tax increase
- Active search over, suspect avoids arrest after high-speed Big Country chase