DALLAS, Texas - DALLAS (AP) - A Dallas man has been sentenced to life in prison for killing a neighbor he invited over for Bible study but then stabbed her more than 30 times.
A judge in Dallas on Friday sentenced 23-year-old Randy Torres. Torres in May pleaded guilty to murder in the 2010 death of 55-year-old Cathy Wilder.
Investigators say Torres invited the woman to his mobile home on the premise of studying the Bible and praying, but then he attacked her. Police say Torres left a note on the victim's body that read "Satan's son."
His mother, Maria Vasquez, testified that Torres since his arrest and incarceration has been getting mental health treatment and taking medication.
- Updated Son of former Brady police chief arrested for murdering mother
- Victims ID'd: San Angelo man & boy, 4, apparently drowned while fishing
- Recent thefts raise eyebrows at Abilene hardware store
- Environmental groups raise concerns over West Texas oil find
- Texan on 10 Most Wanted sex offender list caught in Mexico
- Candlelight vigil held in Brownwood for domestic violence victims
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Fire at Abilene car dealership
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer