HOUSTON, Texas - (AP) - A Houston mother faces four charges of injury to a child after doctors suspected abuse when she took her 6-year-old son to a hospital for treatment of a broken arm.
KHOU-TV (http://bit.ly/13HHEcs ) reports that 26-year-old Jessica Ann Mungia is accused of burning her son's tongue with a hot spoon, making him stand in an ant bed, hitting him on the head with a screwdriver and cutting his arm with a knife.
Online jail records did not show an attorney for Mungia. She was arrested Thursday and remained jailed Saturday in lieu of $60,000 bail.
In May, hospital doctors called authorities after finding wounds and bruises on the boy's body that fit descriptions he gave of what his mother did.
Children's Protective Services investigators also were called to the hospital.
- Big Country high school marching bands compete at Abilene stadium
- Taylor Co. residents to vote on $55M bond to renovate expo center
- Bond set at $750,000: Son of ex-Brady police chief arrested for murdering mother
- Sheriff, family ask for public's help with Lake Brownwood murder case
- KTXS Forecast: Warm and likely dry
- Candlelight vigil held in Brownwood for domestic violence victims
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Fire at Abilene car dealership
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer