AUSTIN, Texas (AP) - Austin police say an off-duty officer had no choice but to shoot a pit bull to death that was attacking a smaller dog at a pet store.
According to police, off-duty officer Leslie Lyons was working security at a Petco store Wednesday when a 90-pound pit bull ran through the store dragging its leash after escaping its owner and attacked a Maltese, which was still on its leash.
Assistant Chief Steve Deaton said the pit bull picked up the Maltese in its mouth and began to maul it.
He said Lyons cleared the area and fired one shot at the pit bull, which dropped the Maltese before going after it again. He said Lyons then fired a second shot that killed the pit bull.
- Big Country 100 Men Who Care gives away another $10,000
- Abilene woman reunited with sister after travel ban struck down
- Man in custody after four-hour standoff in north Abilene
- John Lackey commemorative billboard to serve multiple purposes
- Recycling, parking, discussed at special Abilene City Council meeting