AUSTIN, Texas (AP) - Austin police say an off-duty officer had no choice but to shoot a pit bull to death that was attacking a smaller dog at a pet store.
According to police, off-duty officer Leslie Lyons was working security at a Petco store Wednesday when a 90-pound pit bull ran through the store dragging its leash after escaping its owner and attacked a Maltese, which was still on its leash.
Assistant Chief Steve Deaton said the pit bull picked up the Maltese in its mouth and began to maul it.
He said Lyons cleared the area and fired one shot at the pit bull, which dropped the Maltese before going after it again. He said Lyons then fired a second shot that killed the pit bull.
- Updated Historical treasures lost, damaged in Italian quake
- Updated Abilene non-profit raising money with rappelling event
- Updated City of Abilene to give away 100 rain barrel kits
- Updated Abilene City Council declines to approve curbside recycling program
- Updated Country music star Vince Gill tours West Texas Rehab in Abilene