AUSTIN, Texas (AP) - Austin police say an off-duty officer had no choice but to shoot a pit bull to death that was attacking a smaller dog at a pet store.
According to police, off-duty officer Leslie Lyons was working security at a Petco store Wednesday when a 90-pound pit bull ran through the store dragging its leash after escaping its owner and attacked a Maltese, which was still on its leash.
Assistant Chief Steve Deaton said the pit bull picked up the Maltese in its mouth and began to maul it.
He said Lyons cleared the area and fired one shot at the pit bull, which dropped the Maltese before going after it again. He said Lyons then fired a second shot that killed the pit bull.
- Updated Crews battling wildfires in Texas Panhandle, Oklahoma
- Savage threatens resignation from city council over business issue
- Lawmaker proposes ending Brown County Attorney's pre-trial donation program
- Updated High levels of ammonia in Texas home where some 430 animals found
- JCPenney to close up to 140 stores