AUSTIN, Texas (AP) - Police in Central Texas have shot and killed a man who aimed a rifle at officers answering a call about him threatening suicide.
Austin police Chief Art Acevedo (ah-suh-VAY'-doh) says four officers who opened fire Tuesday night have been placed on administrative leave with pay.
Police received a report of a man threatening to kill himself and his roommate. Investigators say the suspect had a rifle and told police to leave. Authorities say the suspect appeared to be preparing to open fire when he pointed the rifle at police - who then shot him.
No officers were hurt. The name of the man who died wasn't immediately released.
Police are also investigating whether reports of shots fired early Tuesday in the same Austin neighborhood were linked to the suspect.
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Fire damages north Abilene structure
- Improvements on way for Abilene Zoo if council approves bid
- Missing elderly woman found stuck in mud by two Abilene men
- Abilene council to consider approving water rate study, audit
- Abilene attorney vying for Abilene City Council Place 3 spot