TEXARKANA, Texas (AP) - An East Texas sheriff's office is trying to find homes for nine donkeys found abandoned throughout the county.
Bowie County sheriff's Lt. Stanley Cowley said state law requires the animals to auctioned, but no one bought them. The animals have now been in the custody of Bowie County for several months.
The animals are being kept at different locations while waiting for homes. There is no charge to adopt them.
Cowley said the animals were "about starved to death" when the county found them, but have been gaining weight and are recovering nicely.
Cowley said large animals like donkeys are abandoned in the county year-round. He says that so far in 2013, about fifty or sixty large animals, including a few horses, have been abandoned.
- H-E-B donates $2,500 to The Food Bank of West Central Texas
- CityLink bus fare increases passed by Abilene City Council
- Abilene City Council responds to audit requests over water bills
- Truck flips after being T-boned in downtown Abilene
- Guardian claims disabled Abilene woman had $200,000 stolen from account