HOUSTON (AP) - Police say a high school student shot himself while in the back of a patrol car after being arrested earlier on suspicion of taking a gun to his Houston-area campus.
Capt. Jon Moore with the Harris County Precinct 3 constable's office said deputies were called to the campus of North Shore High School around 10:40 a.m. Wednesday after reports of a student possibly having a weapon on campus.
The student was detained, handcuffed and placed in the back of a patrol car.
Moore said the student somehow got a firearm and then shot himself in the back of the head.
Officials with the Galena Park school district said the student, whose name was not released, was conscious when he was taken to a Houston hospital.
- Missing elderly woman found stuck in mud by two Abilene men
- Abilene council to consider approving water rate study, audit
- Man lunges over counter, takes cash from Abilene convenience store
- Abilene attorney vying for Abilene City Council Place 3 spot
- Council 'work session' to focus on curbside recycling, downtown Abilene parking