PLANO, Texas (AP) - Police in North Texas say they've arrested a teenager for bullying a developmentally disabled student who received such online messages as "kill urself."
Plano police on Tuesday charged the unidentified teen with harassment, a misdemeanor. They say the suspect targeted 18-year-old Shea Shawhan with a series of graphic and violent texts that date to February. Some of the messages mocked her disability and made references to rape.
They were sent through a website that disguised the sender. But police say search warrants to the website operator yielded an IP address that led to the suspect.
The harassment has gained the attention of national radio host Glenn Beck and others. Shawhan's supporters have posted comments on the "I'm With Shea" Facebook page.
- Brownwood police asking for public's help in finding escaped man
- Blanket man gets 15 years for two separate agg. assault cases
- Brownwood woman gets 20 years in prison for injuring child
- Brownwood City Council approves bid for sports complex additions
- Brownwood City Council unanimously passes new budget