PLANO, Texas (AP) - Police in North Texas say they've arrested a teenager for bullying a developmentally disabled student who received such online messages as "kill urself."
Plano police on Tuesday charged the unidentified teen with harassment, a misdemeanor. They say the suspect targeted 18-year-old Shea Shawhan with a series of graphic and violent texts that date to February. Some of the messages mocked her disability and made references to rape.
They were sent through a website that disguised the sender. But police say search warrants to the website operator yielded an IP address that led to the suspect.
The harassment has gained the attention of national radio host Glenn Beck and others. Shawhan's supporters have posted comments on the "I'm With Shea" Facebook page.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated