PLANO, Texas (AP) - Police in North Texas say they've arrested a teenager for bullying a developmentally disabled student who received such online messages as "kill urself."
Plano police on Tuesday charged the unidentified teen with harassment, a misdemeanor. They say the suspect targeted 18-year-old Shea Shawhan with a series of graphic and violent texts that date to February. Some of the messages mocked her disability and made references to rape.
They were sent through a website that disguised the sender. But police say search warrants to the website operator yielded an IP address that led to the suspect.
The harassment has gained the attention of national radio host Glenn Beck and others. Shawhan's supporters have posted comments on the "I'm With Shea" Facebook page.
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Fire damages north Abilene structure
- Improvements on way for Abilene Zoo if council approves bid
- Missing elderly woman found stuck in mud by two Abilene men
- Abilene council to consider approving water rate study, audit
- Abilene attorney vying for Abilene City Council Place 3 spot