PLANO, Texas (AP) - Police in North Texas say they've arrested a teenager for bullying a developmentally disabled student who received such online messages as "kill urself."
Plano police on Tuesday charged the unidentified teen with harassment, a misdemeanor. They say the suspect targeted 18-year-old Shea Shawhan with a series of graphic and violent texts that date to February. Some of the messages mocked her disability and made references to rape.
They were sent through a website that disguised the sender. But police say search warrants to the website operator yielded an IP address that led to the suspect.
The harassment has gained the attention of national radio host Glenn Beck and others. Shawhan's supporters have posted comments on the "I'm With Shea" Facebook page.
- Updated Abilene man charged with criminally negligent homicide in fiery 2014 crash
- Updated Abilene City Council declines to approve curbside recycling program
- Updated Surgeon general warns doctors on opioid epidemic
- Updated Texas promised to track oilfield waste in aquifers. It didn't
- Updated Police: Abilene kidnapping suspect threatened to kill victim, family