NEW CANEY, Texas (AP) - A Houston-area teenager wearing headphones and walking on some railroad tracks has died after being hit by a freight train.
The Montgomery County Sheriff's Office identifies the victim as 18-year-old Chris Neves of New Caney.
Authorities believe Neves around noon Sunday was listening to music while walking to his girlfriend's home in New Caney and did not hear the train.
Investigators and Union Pacific Railroad officials said crew members braked and sounded the horn but the teen did not move off the tracks.
- ACU's Sing Song competition brings visitors, dollars to Abilene
- 2 dead in shooting during fight at Houston strip club
- Police seek help finding suitcase linked to Colorado murder
- Hunters charged in Texas shooting who had blamed immigrants
- KTXS Forecast: Rain moves out, making way for warmer weather and sunny skies