MARSHALL, Texas (AP) - Debaters from Texas' Wiley College have traveled to California for a rematch of a 1935 debate that served as inspiration for the movie "The Great Debaters."
The exhibition debate is set for Friday evening on the University of Southern California campus. In the 1935 debate, students from Wiley, a small, historically black school, prevailed over USC, a nationally known powerhouse, at a time when the U.S. was heavily segregated. The 2007 movie climaxes with a fictional debate against Harvard that was modeled on the real match in California.
Last year, USC traveled to Wiley's campus in the small East Texas town of Marshall for an exhibition debate.
Wiley had ceased to have a debate team by the time movie rekindled interest and the team was resurrected in 2008.
- August 2016 ties August 1914 as wettest in Texas
- City of Abilene receives 2,000+ complaints or comments about water bills
- Updated Abilene requests proposals for new downtown hotel and 'festival district'
- Shuttle bus rear-ended at Boston airport, killing 2 Texans
- Agency shakeup: 4 regional CPS directors fired, including director of Abilene region
- Paint Creek reacts to Perry's Dancing with the Stars casting
- Businesses near Big Country lakes hoping for big Labor Day turnout
- Zephyr ISD sues over faulty turf, relocates home football games
- Hunters, Abilene charity anticipate start of dove hunting season
- 2 injured in DWI crash in Early, man arrested