HOUSTON (AP) - A woman in custody in the back of a Houston police car has been killed when the squad car collided with another vehicle.
Authorities say it appears the woman was ejected from the back seat of the police car when it was rammed before daybreak Wednesday by another car that ran a red light near downtown Houston.
The officer driving the patrol car and two women in the other car suffered minor injuries.
The officer was taking the woman in custody to an intoxication center to sober up.
Police are investigating to see if she was wearing a seat belt as required by the department.
The driver of the other car also is now in custody to see if she may have been intoxicated.
Names of those involved haven't been immediately released.
- Updated Victims ID'd: San Angelo man & boy, 4, apparently drowned while fishing
- Updated Recent thefts raise eyebrows at Abilene hardware store
- Texan on 10 Most Wanted sex offender list caught in Mexico
- KTXS Forecast: Tracking scattered cloud cover with low to mid-80s for the work week
- Abilene locations to offer early voting Monday
- Candlelight vigil held in Brownwood for domestic violence victims
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated