FORT WORTH, Texas (AP) - A North Texas woman has pleaded guilty to murder in the fatal scalding of her 2-year-old grandson.
The sentencing phase of the Patricia Flores trial began Tuesday, a day after she entered her plea in Fort Worth. The 44-year-old Haltom City woman has left her sentencing to a Tarrant County jury.
Flores could receive up to life imprisonment for the death of grandson Lyfe Flores. Investigators say the child went without medical attention for six days after he was scalded March 24 by hot bath water, leading to an infection that killed the child last April.
Flores was a fugitive until turning herself in to the Frio County Sheriff's Office in Pearsall a week later. She was initially charged with injury to a child by omission.
- 1 killed, 2 injured in I-20 crash near Colorado City
- $14.25 million lottery prize claimed two days before ticket bought in Abilene expired
- Former Texas teacher arrested for inappropriate relationship with a minor
- Viral photo shows baby on Santa's lap giving sign for 'help'
- Officials: Texas man posing as film director made child porn
- Fake City of Abilene Facebook page removed, unclear who took it down
- Abilene police chief calls solving year-old murder of Abilene realtor ‘very high priority'
- Shipping deadlines quickly approaching for Christmas
- Abilene police buy presents for 'Operation Blue Santa'
- Abilene house fire leaves $30,000 in damages
- City of Abilene asks public for feedback on Lake Kirby
- Brown County veteran being sued by hospital for unpaid fees
- Brown County capital murder suspect waives arriagnment
- Former Brown County teacher arrested for having improper relationship with student
- Brownwood holds its annual Lighted Christmas Parade
- Records: Brown County game warden fired for sending nude photos, racist text messages
- Old Brownwood fire station sold to make way for fast food restaurant
- Ranger College releases settlement with former professor over sexual harassment allegations
- Fire engulfs trailer house in Tye
- Stamford's James Washington claims Biletnikoff Award as nation's best receiver
- 27 indicted by Taylor County grand jury
- DPS identifies construction worker killed by 18-wheeler on I-20 in Sweetwater
- Mother of Big Country sexual assault victim speaks out