PANTEGO, Texas - (AP) - A swarm of about 30,000 bees attacked a North Texas couple as they exercised their miniature horses, stinging the animals so many times they died.
The Fort Worth Star-Telegram reports (http://bit.ly/12RiVMA) 44-year-old Kristen Beauregard was stung about 200 times and her boyfriend about 50 times.
Beauregard says the swarm chased them down, following them. She says they were sweeping up piles of bees "like a bad movie."
She says firefighters sprayed a foam substance to clear the bees, and dragged the horses to a pasture to be treated by police and paramedics. Six-year-old show horse Chip died before a veterinarian arrived. Trump, a Shetland pony, spent a night at a veterinary clinic but also died.
The bees are being tested to see whether they are Africanized or "killer" bees.
- Rose Park aquatic center to open this summer
- Abilene City Council to consider payday loan restrictions
- Major businesses push back against Texas' proposed bathroom bill
- Dashcam video of San Angelo councilman's altercation with police released
- KTXS Forecast: Warm & windy weather brings enhanced fire danger