ANGLETON, Texas - A Southeast Texas father denies killing a drunk driver in a fit of rage after his two sons were fatally struck on a rural road near their home.
Authorities allege David Barajas shot Jose Banda after the December 2012 accident, which claimed the lives of 12-year-old David Jr. and 11-year-old Caleb.
If convicted, Barajas faces up to life in prison.
Barajas' trial is set to begin Monday with jury selection, but prosecutors face various difficulties. No weapon was recovered and no witnesses have identified Barajas as the shooter.
Many in Barajas' community also have strongly sympathized with him, with some saying they might have taken the law into their own hands if faced with a similar situation.
- Event to fight hunger in Brown County offering soup, bowls
- Brown County Christian school gets anonymous donation to pay for safety signs
- Brownwood joins several Big Country cities in suspending hikes to energy rates
- Hendrick Surgery Center in Brownwood set to open in May
- Brown County DA getting new software to increase transparency