ANGLETON, Texas - A Southeast Texas father denies killing a drunk driver in a fit of rage after his two sons were fatally struck on a rural road near their home.
Authorities allege David Barajas shot Jose Banda after the December 2012 accident, which claimed the lives of 12-year-old David Jr. and 11-year-old Caleb.
If convicted, Barajas faces up to life in prison.
Barajas' trial is set to begin Monday with jury selection, but prosecutors face various difficulties. No weapon was recovered and no witnesses have identified Barajas as the shooter.
Many in Barajas' community also have strongly sympathized with him, with some saying they might have taken the law into their own hands if faced with a similar situation.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated