ANGLETON, Texas - A Southeast Texas father denies killing a drunk driver in a fit of rage after his two sons were fatally struck on a rural road near their home.
Authorities allege David Barajas shot Jose Banda after the December 2012 accident, which claimed the lives of 12-year-old David Jr. and 11-year-old Caleb.
If convicted, Barajas faces up to life in prison.
Barajas' trial is set to begin Monday with jury selection, but prosecutors face various difficulties. No weapon was recovered and no witnesses have identified Barajas as the shooter.
Many in Barajas' community also have strongly sympathized with him, with some saying they might have taken the law into their own hands if faced with a similar situation.
- Updated Terror attacks overseas affecting Abilene college programs
- Updated EpiPen price hikes causing trouble Abilene families
- Updated Abilene ISD institutes new drop-off policy
- Updated KTXS Forecast: Mostly sunny and low 90s for Thursday
- Updated Police: Abilene kidnapping suspect threatened to kill victim, family