ANGLETON, Texas - A Southeast Texas father denies killing a drunk driver in a fit of rage after his two sons were fatally struck on a rural road near their home.
Authorities allege David Barajas shot Jose Banda after the December 2012 accident, which claimed the lives of 12-year-old David Jr. and 11-year-old Caleb.
If convicted, Barajas faces up to life in prison.
Barajas' trial is set to begin Monday with jury selection, but prosecutors face various difficulties. No weapon was recovered and no witnesses have identified Barajas as the shooter.
Many in Barajas' community also have strongly sympathized with him, with some saying they might have taken the law into their own hands if faced with a similar situation.
- Abilenians sought for curbside recycling program, deadline Monday
- Tax rate increase approved by Abilene City Council in first reading
- Updated 'Emergency contract' awarded to build new bridge on Hwy 6 at Lake Cisco
- Texas detective fired for mishandling child abuse cases
- American Airlines plane lands safely despite engine flames