HOUSTON, Texas - HOUSTON (AP) - A federal appeals court has ruled that videos of a Houston couple torturing and maiming animals for the sexual gratification of viewers is not free speech.
The ruling on Friday by the 5th Circuit Court of Appeals overturns a lower court ruling. Federal criminal charges have been reinstated against 23-year-old Ashley Richards and 52-year-old Brent Justice.
The Houston Chronicle reports the pair are the first to be prosecuted under the Animal Crush Video Prohibition Act of 2010. These videos cater to people who get sexual gratification from watching animals being tortured.
- Updated Italy earthquake: A country in mourning begins burying the dead
- Abilene Fire Department working house fire on Graham Street
- Enrollment up at Abilene, Wylie school districts
- Video of woman chasing cat on Texas tollway prompts warning
- Perfect strangers perform unforgettable duet at Texas hospital