AUSTIN, Texas (AP) - The weekend death of an 11-month-old foster child near Austin is the fifth in Texas in the handful of weeks since the end of a troubled fiscal year for the state's foster care system.
The Department of Child Protective Services confirms that eight foster children died from abuse or neglect in the 2013 fiscal year that ended in August. That's four times the number of foster children whose deaths were attributed to mistreatment in 2012.
Agency spokesman Patrick Crimmins said the state is concerned about the spike in deaths. The latest happened Sunday in Cedar Park, where 32-year-old Jacob Salas was charged him with injury to a child.
Salas was being held without bond Tuesday. Jail records didn't indicate whether he had an attorney.
- Updated Flint water crisis: New criminal charges filed
- Updated Police: McDonald's worker in Texas fired for refusing officer service
- Updated Police save Texas robbery suspect from burning car after chase
- Updated Building partially collapses in Hamlin
- Updated Firefighters extinguish garbage truck fire in north Abilene