SAN ANTONIO (AP) - A white rhino at the San Antonio Zoo has died.
The zoo says Gertrude suffered from chronic kidney failure caused by old age. She was 46.
Gertrude came to the San Antonio Zoo in 1970.
The zoo says she was one of the 11 oldest white rhinos in any zoo in the world.
Zoo director Steve McCusker tells WOAI-TV (http://bit.ly/10mEGqd ) that he remembers Gertrude having an easy disposition.
McCusker says she was "one of the real pets of the institution."
- Obama shortens more than 100 prison sentences
- Updated TDCJ: Criminal charges against Abilene corrections officer dismissed
- Texan who faked being decorated Navy SEAL gets prison
- New 'Dancing With the Stars' cast includes ex-Gov. Rick Perry, 12 others
- KTXS Forecast: Thundershower chances persist into the weekend
Copyright ©2016 by KECI, KCFW, KTVM. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Abilene ISD expecting more money from state for higher enrollment
- McMurry University kicks off school year with convocation
- Ex-Abilene day care teacher fails to show for trial, warrant issued
- Abilene, Big Country teams ranked in AP football poll
- Clyde community raises money for family after car accident