TEXARKANA, Texas (AP) - Authorities say a northeast Texas woman recently learned a hard lesson: Don't try to kill a snake by setting it on fire.
The woman was cleaning the yard outside a home near Texarkana Wednesday night when she spotted a snake. Bowie County Sheriff's Capt. David Grable said she poured gasoline on the snake to try to kill it. Her son then dropped a lit match on the snake.
The engulfed snake slithered into some brush nearby the home. Grable said the brush ignited and started a fire that destroyed the home and damaged one next door.
Both homes were vacant, and no one was injured.
Grable said most snakes are harmless if left alone.
- Updated Surgeon general warns doctors on opioid epidemic
- Updated Texas promised to track oilfield waste in aquifers. It didn't
- Updated Police: Abilene kidnapping suspect threatened to kill victim, family
- Updated Fraternity suspends Texas A&M chapter after student's death
- Updated Abilene ISD institutes new drop-off policy